The Composition of the Universe

Question:  Is it true that we only know 10% of the universe and the rest is dark matter, though if we only know 10% we don’t even know how big are universe is?  – Lily

Answer:  I think that you are referring to the fact that only about 17% of the matter in the Universe appears to be composed of atoms, or stuff that you and I are made of.  The other 83% is “dark matter”, which is thought to composed of very heavy sub-atomic particles that only weakly interact with atoms or each other.  Dark matter has yet to be detected, so its existence is only theoretical at the moment.

Jeff Mangum

This entry was posted in Cosmology and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>